In June 1868 under the direction of Professor and royal building officer Ende, they started to clear away the huge piles of debris, and uncovered and secured all the foundation walls, and the foundations as well as cellars on the Moselle side of the castle and the castle well. The castle was rebuilt on top and the highest rooms were furnished for the constructor.
As from 1871 the second part of the reconstruction was started under the direction of building officer Julius Carl Raschdorff. Building officer Raschdorff was known for renaissance buildings (the Wallraf Richartz, museum in Cologne) he had previously been town master builder in Cologne and had already acquired an excellent reputation.
The planning of the exterior was kept in accordance with the conditions of sale. The sketched plans from the architectural drawing book are still available today. The planning of the interior was also left to Raschdorff, however these sketches were not passed on down to us today.
The interior design was assigned to Prof. Ernst Ewald from Berlin. He designed the intricate painted decoration on the ceilings and the walls on the inside and the outside. The poker work he carried out either himself or had his employees Göthe and the painter Münster from Cologne do it for him. But local artists and craftsmen also played a part. The rooms are accordingly decorative and the furniture is appropriately comfortable. The old styles of building were taken into consideration, which had been used in its one thousand year old history.
SConsequently our guests today during the guided tour will come across, amongst other things, a dining room in Neo-renaissance style, a gothic and a Romanesque room. In 1877 the inauguration of the castle and the opening of the Emperor Wilhelm railway tunnel were celebrated with a banquet in the knight’s hall in the castle. High ranking guests were present. The seat next to Mr Ravené, however remained empty, as his wife had left him.